all al2 al3 a2l a22 a23 a3l a32 a33
| A |= ana22<ï33 — ana23<ï32 + «12^23^31 — «12^21^33 + aoa2ia32 — aoa22a3i A careful examination of the evaluation of a 3 x 3 determinant shows:
1. Each term in the expansion of the determinant contains one and only one element from each row and each column.
2. The number of elements in each term is the same as the number of rows (or columns) in the matrix. Thus, a 2 x 2 determinant has two elements
APPENDIX B: RUDIMENTS OF MATRIX ALGEBRA 921
in each term of its expansion, a 3 x 3 determinant has three elements in each term of its expansion, and so on.
3. The terms in the expansion alternate in sign from + to —.
4. A 2 x 2 determinant has two terms in its expansion, and a 3 x 3 determinant has six terms in its expansion. The general rule is: The determinant of order N x N has N! = N(N — 1)(N — 2) ••• 3 ■ 2 ■ 1 terms in its expansion, where N! is read "N factorial." Following this rule, a determinant of order 5 x 5 will have 5 ■ 4 ■ 3 ■ 2 ■ 1 = 120 terms in its expansion.1
1. A matrix whose determinantal value is zero is called a singular matrix, whereas a matrix with a nonzero determinant is called a nonsingular matrix. The inverse of a matrix as defined before does not exist for a singular matrix.
2. If all the elements of any row of A are zero, its determinant is zero. Thus,
Was this article helpful?
Learning About The Rules Of The Rich And Wealthy Can Have Amazing Benefits For Your Life And Success. Discover the hidden rules and beat the rich at their own game. The general population has a love / hate kinship with riches. They resent those who have it, but spend their total lives attempting to get it for themselves. The reason an immense majority of individuals never accumulate a substantial savings is because they don't comprehend the nature of money or how it works.